Confucius Institute Scholarships
For the purpose of supporting the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitating international promotion of Chinese language and dissemination of Chinese culture, as well as cultivating qualified Chinese-language teachers and excellent Chinese-language learners, Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches a "Confucius Institute Scholarship" program to sponsor foreign students, scholars and Chinese language teachers to study Chinese in relevant universities of China (hereinafter referred to as "Host Institutes" ).
The scholarship of 2014 is divided into 5 categories:
- Scholarship for Students of Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages（MTCSOL）
- Scholarship for Students of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL,
- Scholarship for Students of Bachelor's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages（BTCSOL）
- Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students,
- Scholarship for One-Semester Students.
Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens in good health, aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers in post shall be aged below 45, and applicants for BTCSOL scholarship should be aged below 20).
Scholarship for Students of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL: The scholarship is oriented at students from Confucius Institutes in Africa and Latin America regions, who are interested in Chinese Language teaching. The applicant shall sign an agreement with the Confucius Institute or an institute he/she will teach for. The Applicant is required to have a bachelor degree or its equivalent and achieve a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 3) and a score of at least 60 on the HSKK (primary level). Those who pass the first-academic-year assessment and score at least 180 on the HSK (level 5) can proceed with their study in China for the Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages. Hanban will support graduates to teach Chinese in their home countries by recruiting them as local teachers, providing wage subsidies, etc.
From the issue date of the Procedures, applicants can log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual account, read information and introduction of host institutes and majors, complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form online.
This is a copy of the award of CI scholarship to the student
- Outstanding students at Confucius Institutes (classrooms) worldwide;
- Mandarin teachers and those who intend to become Mandarin teachers and who are devoted to the spread of Chinese language and culture;
- Outstanding examinees of Chinese tests organized by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters;
- Outstanding participants of any of the following "Chinese Bridge" Chinese Proficiency Competitions, held for foreign college Students, for foreign secondary school students, or for foreign students in China;
- Those who qualifies according to certain Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters agreements.
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens who are in good health.